If you are looking for a great recovery meal for after your workout, throw together a few simple ingredients and get this quick, tasty, carb and protein-rich dish.
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 stick celery
3 diced carrots
½ diced white onion
1 - 2 chicken breasts
1 cup of brown rice
1 - 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts)
2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Dash of pepper
Optional: Add a few dashes of chili flakes
Substitutions: Asparagus for any of the vegetables
1. Boil a pot of water, add brown rice, reduce to simmer and cook for 30 – 40 minutes.
2. Pre-dice the veggies. Chop chicken breast into bite-sized pieces.
3. Use a skillet and pour a few dashes of extra virgin olive oil in it before turning the stove on (keep stove on medium).
4. Put veggies in skillet and after a couple of minutes, add chicken.
5. Add soy, lemon juice, pepper, chili flakes (optional). Cook for about 14 minutes total.
6. Serve stir-fry over bed of rice and sprinkle chopped nuts on top.
Makes 1 – 2 servings.
Recipe by: Luke Corey, RD. Photo from www.closetcooking.com