The sweet smoky flavour and crunch of these pita chips is immensely satisfying. You may want to store these in a safe place or be prepared to make extra. Consider yourself warned! Serves 8
4 Whole wheat pita pockets
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Split pita pockets in half.
3. On a cooking sheet, spray both sides of the pita with cooking spray.
4. Sprinkle one side of each pita with the smoked paprika
5. Bake 10 minutes, until pitas begin to turn a light golden color. You will need to cook these in two batches – 4 pita halves at a time.
6. When pitas are cool break into smaller pieces. If you prefer a uniform look, you can also cut the pitas into triangles (like a pizza) before baking.
My new love is smoked paprika. It adds a rich smoky flavour and wonderful color to any savory dish.
If you don’t have smoked paprika try substituting it with ground pepper and finely grated parmesan cheese, Greek spice mix or a few dashes of hot sauce (if you prefer things spicy).
Thank-you: My friend Jen is a consummate hostess and excellent cook. Many evenings she has spoiled her guests with pita chips and a selection of homemade dips. Thank-you for sharing your recipe – I hope you will approve of this smoky twist!!
Recipe and photo by: Lindsay Buchanan, RD