Soft Molasses Cookies
These cookies are sweetened with dates and molasses and use almond and coconut flour as a base. They are a lower added sugar, higher fibre holiday dessert option.
Antonia Harvey, P.Dt; adapted from Wellness Mama
Makes: 30 cookies
3 ½ cups blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
12 dates, pitted
1/3 cup molasses
¼ cup milk of choice
¼ cup melted margarine
2 large eggs
1. In a large bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
2. Put the dates, molasses, milk, margarine, and eggs in the bowl of a food processor or in a strong blender. Blend on low speed until the mixture is smooth. While blending, scrape down the sides of the food processor/blender as needed.
3. Pour the date mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Refrigerate the cookie batter for 20 to 30 minutes.
4. While the dough is in the fridge, line to 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
5. Remove the dough from the fridge. Using 1 rounded tablespoon per cookie, roll the dough into balls and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 1 inch between cookies.
6. Bake for 7 minutes, then remove cookies from the oven. Using a fork, gently flatten each cookie. Bake for another 8 minutes. Allow to cool on pans for 10 minutes before enjoying.