Eat, Read, Learn
If you have comments or suggestions, you can reach Caroline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try a new ingredient - tamarind
Tamarind is a fruit regularly used in the Caribbean, Thailand, India and Mexico. It is a tropical fruit with a sweet, tart and sour taste and date-like texture. It is available as a raw fruit or a paste. Generally, you will soak the paste in hot water for 30 minutes, then run it through a sieve to extract usable tamarind. Then, the paste can be added to dishes like beef and broccoli, curries, pad Thai, sauces, chutneys or even cocktails. It’s a great meat tenderizer and an ingredient in Worcestershire sauce.
○ Tamarind is high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Read the nutrient profile here.
○ Read more about tamarind and the potential health benefits here and here.
Best New Product Awards 2022
Did you know there’s a Best New Product Award every year in Canada? Over 12,000 Canadians cast their vote on several categories, including health and food. Here are the key takeaways:
○ 8/10 of Canadians think taste is the most important purchasing factor.
○ 3/5 Canadians seek a healthier alternative to their favourite treats, rather than cutting them out.
○ 7/10 of Canadians believe innovative research is creating products (mostly supplements) for better long-term health.
○ 37% of Canadians think sustainable packaging and ingredients are important.
○ Read more here.
The RD Entrepreneur Symposium for Nutrition and Health Professionals:
Looking to learn more about how to become an entrepreneur? Are you already an entrepreneur and want to strengthen your business? Whether it’s building your brand, honing your socials, adjusting your website or learning how to make a side stream of income as a dietitian- this 100% virtual symposium has got it.
○ Gain access to presentations from 30+ professionals. Sign up here.
○ Price: $397 for access until April 30, 2023.
Curated by Caroline Spurr, RD